Who are "Anti-Iraqi" Forces?

Language is not a transparent medium for representing reality but rather a cultural system that shapes our values and beliefs.

I was in an appliance store this weekend. I was passing a row of televisions while Faux News was on. The talking head was describing the latest insurgent attack. I noticed however, that he used the pro-war propaganda term, "anti-Iraqi forces" when referring to the attackers instead of the mainstream "insurgent". … And so the campaign begins (continues?) to co-opt our language to influence opinion of the US war on Iraq.

As I suggested a few months ago, as US forces have killed more Iraqis than insurgents have. ... Have caused more devastation and suffering than the insurgents; by any measure, US forces should be considered "Anti-Iraqi". When the US military was bombing Iraq back into the Stone Age, was the US media calling the military "Pro-Iraqi"?

Do not get me wrong, I do not support the terror that the insurgents are causing in Iraq. I just disagree with the terminology being used by the right wing media to attempt to sway our views while reporting the "news".

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Those who control the language govern the sphere of debate.

Giant Jesus in Monroe, OH

Gonzales Questions Habeas Corpus